Period of Secondment: Up to three years
Posting Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2023
Closing Date: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 4:00 p.m. EDT
The Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) is modernizing Ontario’s approach to large-scale assessment. The agency creates and delivers engaging and relevant assessments for students that lead to insights into their learning. EQAO seeks dynamic individuals interested in cutting-edge approaches to gathering and analyzing student achievement and questionnaire data. The agency’s transformation is part of an exciting mandate to contribute to the continuous improvement of Ontario’s publicly funded education system.
Responsibilities:EQAO is looking for an individual with advanced statistical and research expertise to support the development of research, analytical and data initiatives aimed at improving the relevance and effectiveness of policy and programs for education in Ontario.
In this role, you will
- plan and lead analytical and statistical research studies including longitudinal analyses, multivariate models and quasi-experimental approaches;
- provide expert advice and recommendations to senior management;
- lead the development and preparation of logic models, business cases and requests for submissions and request for proposals (RFPs) to secure research funding and partnerships to support school improvement planning and student achievement in elementary, secondary and post-secondary education;
- provide guidance and technical leadership to research, policy, program and project staff; and
- collaborate with external researchers including academics, school board staff and others in the public sector.
The preferred candidate will provide evidence of the following:
Research, Statistical and Analytical Skills
- You have experience applying quantitative and qualitative research theories, principles and methodologies, and statistical analysis techniques to design, conduct and consult on research projects.
- You can undertake analysis of trends, system modelling, and evaluation of best practices, options, costs and impacts.
- You know how to ensure data accuracy, integrity and validity.
- You can conduct advanced statistical analyses (i.e., hierarchical linear modelling, structural equation modelling, data reduction techniques, time series).
- You have expertise in coding languages for statistical software and data visualization tools for data management and analysis.
Leadership and Project Management Skills
- You have project management skills to plan and lead research studies and develop options and recommendations.
- You have leadership skills to provide technical leadership, training and guidance to project staff.
- You can manage a number of competing priorities and research projects concurrently.
- You have knowledge of provincial strategic direction and legislation regarding Ontario’s educational systems and assessment initiatives.
- You have knowledge of education and social trends (provincial, national and international), related public policy directions and issues, education stakeholders and their issues to draw linkages to analytical research findings and provide recommendations on their implications.
- You have knowledge of education system monitoring and reporting to support accurate data results.
Communication, Relationship Management and Consultation Skills
- You have demonstrated relationship management skills to develop and build positive partnerships with internal/external stakeholders.
- You have consultation, advisory and collaboration skills to promote the agency’s initiatives and work with other areas to develop projects and provide advice.
- You have negotiation skills to resolve issues with external research service providers.
- You have oral and written communication and presentation skills to conduct meetings and communicate research methodologies, findings and implications clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences through presentations, reports, briefings and visualizations.
EQAO MUST receive the following documentation in one document, or your application will not be considered:
- a letter of application identifying the position sought and granting authorization to contact references;
- a complete and up-to-date personal résumé or curriculum vitae;
- (if applicable) a copy of a current Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification and Registration; and
- the names of two individuals who can provide a current professional reference, one of whom must be your immediate supervisor.
Work location: Remote work/2 Carlton Street, Toronto ON M5B 2M9
Written applications and supporting documentation will be received until 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 7, 2023.
Please put your cover letter, résumé and supporting documentation into one document.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.