The OSSLT measures whether students are meeting the minimum standard for literacy across all subjects up to the end of Grade 9. Successful completion of the literacy test is one of the requirements to earn an Ontario Secondary School Diploma. All students across the province write this test.
As the literacy graduation requirement for all students graduating during the 2021–2022 school year has been waived, graduating students do not need to take the OSSLT.
The administration of the OSSLT will take place from
- Wednesday, October 13, to Friday, December 3, 2021, with individual student results reported by the end of January 2022.
- Wednesday, March 23, to Wednesday, May 18, 2022, with individual student results reported by the end of June 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions from educators about the set-up, administration and reporting of the OSSLT and the Grade 9 math assessment.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the functions, format and administration of the online OSSLT.
Administering the Assessment
These online user guides provide direction and information to school administrators, teachers and IT professionals at schools and boards who are involved in the administration of the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test. The user guides provide guidelines and answers to frequently asked questions regarding the role of teachers, administrators and IT professionals in the administration of the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test.
The user guides will help guide
- teachers through key aspects, including accessing their accounts, managing their classrooms, preparing their students for assessment sessions, and administering the official assessment sessions.
- school administrators through key aspects, including accessing and navigating their accounts; managing student lists at their school as well as upcoming assessment sessions and teacher accounts; and being a primary point of contact for teachers.
- school boards’ IT team and representatives through key aspects, including navigating the general technical readiness process and preparing for the accessibility and accommodations options, bandwidth and connectivity requirements, security and domain allowed-list protocols as well as the configuration of devices.
For technical questions, please e-mail our Technical Support Team at email@example.com or call 1-888-444-4017.
Students have the opportunity to become familiar with the online test and its platform through EQAO’s online practice test. The online practice test comprises two sessions, which include content from previous tests. The practice test is equivalent to the two sessions students will be completing during the live test. In addition, the practice test includes an introductory session that allows students to become familiar with the new online platform’s tools and functions
Online Professional Learning Modules
Learning Module for Principals and Teachers: Digitalized OSSLT
Register for this self-paced learning module and learn the details of administering the digitalized OSSLT. This module takes approximately 45 minutes. Following your registration you will receive an invitation email to EQAO’s Virtual Learning Environment.
Understanding the Results
The document is designed to clarify the distinction between successful and unsuccessful performance on the OSSLT. This information will assist educators in helping unsuccessful students understand what “getting better” at literacy looks like, identifying evidence that will help a student move from one category to another, and discussing areas for student improvement with parents.
The Standard-Setting Process is a historical document outlining the process used to define the standards for the OSSLT.