Data and Schools: A Journey of Learning
Student population: 293; Grades: K–8
- Sister Catherine Donnelly Catholic School has a student population that draws on rural and urban areas.
- The school’s student population has a wide range of strengths and needs. Nineteen per cent of the students have Individual Education Plans.
“This class helped me feel more confident in math by reviewing answers after tests to show me how to improve. Group work helped me be open minded to new math concepts and strategies.”— Grade 7 Student
- EQAO Data: Math leads and administrators analyze EQAO data, specifically the item information reports, to identify areas of strength and need to determine next steps.
- Aligning Data: EQAO results are compared to report card results to ensure staff evaluate consistently.
- Sharing of Data: The results of the data analysis are presented at an all-staff meeting.
- Next Steps:The analysis is a starting point for teachers. They use the analysis to support progress in student learning and to identify a focus for professional development.
Staff at Sister Catherine Donnelly recognized the need for a renewed curriculum focus and adopted the mindset that the curriculum is their textbook. Staff used EQAO data and assessments to identify specific areas of the curriculum where there were gaps in student learning.
Using scaffolding, direct teaching and conversations with students, staff were able to build overall student knowledge and skill related to curriculum expectations. Having a focused goal was crucial in making an overall difference in student achievement.
Consolidation of Learning
Sudbury Secondary School, Rainbow District School Board
Maxwell Heights Secondary School, Durham District School Board
M.M. Robinson High School, Halton District School Board
Elmira District Secondary School, Waterloo Region District School Board
St. Francis Xavier High School, Ottawa Catholic District School Board
John McCrae Secondary School, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Kenner Collegiate Vocational Institute, Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
Regiopolis-Notre Dame Catholic High School, Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board
St. Benedict Catholic Secondary School, Sudbury Catholic District School Board
Pine Grove Public School, District School Board of Niagara
St. Gabriel Catholic Elementary School, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Sister Catherine Donnelly Catholic School, Simcoe County District School Board
St. Matthew Catholic School, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Fleming Public School, Toronto District School Board
Springbrook Public School, Peel District School Board
Byron Southwood Public School, Thames Valley District School Board