Data and Schools: A Journey of Learning
Student population: 372; Grades: JK–8
- Located in an urban setting, Pine Grove Public School is named for the pine trees lining the northern school boundary.
- The student population is diverse and includes a growing number of English language learners.
“As a school, we have been focusing on fostering a growth mindset in mathematics. I believe that attitudes are a precursor to student achievement.”— Principal
- Data Observations: In the fall, the entire Pine Grove staff meets to look at the EQAO data. The educators then break off into divisions to examine the data. Staff look for patterns and discuss strengths and next steps for the Grades 3 and 6 cohorts. These data are considered alongside teacher observations, conversations and products.
- Instructional Decisions: Pine Grove and other schools in the board administer a mid-year assessment in Grades 3 and 6. Data obtained from this initiative are compared with previous data to uncover patterns and trends. This helps staff evaluate whether the fall interventions have succeeded or whether additional support is needed.
- Mid-year Assessment: Pine Grove and other schools in the board administer a mid-year assessment in Grades 3 and 6. Data obtained from this initiative are compared with previous data to uncover patterns and trends. This helps staff evaluate whether the fall interventions have succeeded or whether additional support is needed.
- Reflect to Grow: The staff at Pine Grove has learned it is important not to focus on preparing students to be successful on one specific question or test. Rather, the goal is to provide learning experiences that support student success relative to curriculum expectations. The school uses data to identify general areas of need and to monitor the implementation of strategies and their impact.
Effective Descriptive Feedback
Teachers at Pine Grove have refined the use of descriptive feedback to foster student reflection about the quality of their responses. Teachers use examples to co-construct success criteria with their students. The success criteria allow students to assess their own and their peers’ work.
Students understand that when given feedback, they have an opportunity to revisit and modify their work to improve it. The quality of the students’ work increases with each iteration.
Building a Culture of Success
Pine Grove staff collaborate and focus on nurturing high expectations across all grades and programs. By celebrating strong student work, the school builds a community of learners that have grit and self-motivation to do their best.
Staff saw a correlation between student attitudes and achievement in math as they intersected these two types of EQAO data. The staff has committed to fostering positive student attitudes toward learning. Teachers consistently take time to check in with individual students to ensure they have confidence in themselves as mathematicians and feel empowered to be successful. Teachers strongly believe all students want to be successful.
Sudbury Secondary School, Rainbow District School Board
Maxwell Heights Secondary School, Durham District School Board
M.M. Robinson High School, Halton District School Board
Elmira District Secondary School, Waterloo Region District School Board
St. Francis Xavier High School, Ottawa Catholic District School Board
John McCrae Secondary School, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Kenner Collegiate Vocational Institute, Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
Regiopolis-Notre Dame Catholic High School, Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board
St. Benedict Catholic Secondary School, Sudbury Catholic District School Board
Pine Grove Public School, District School Board of Niagara
St. Gabriel Catholic Elementary School, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Sister Catherine Donnelly Catholic School, Simcoe County District School Board
St. Matthew Catholic School, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Fleming Public School, Toronto District School Board
Springbrook Public School, Peel District School Board
Byron Southwood Public School, Thames Valley District School Board
Superior Collegiate and Vocational Institute, Lakehead District School Board
South Carleton High School, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Holy Names Catholic High School, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute, Toronto District School Board
McKellar Park Central School, Lakehead District School Board
St. Dominic Savio Catholic School, Waterloo Catholic District School Board
St. Bernadette Catholic School, Durham Catholic District School Board
Beverley Heights Middle School, Toronto District School Board
Pius XII Catholic Elementary, Sudbury Catholic District School Board
Sir William Gage Middle School, Peel District School Board
St. Martin School, Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board
D. Roy Kennedy Public School, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Maple High School, York Region District School Board
Essex District High School, Greater Essex County District School Board
Mississauga Secondary School, Peel District School Board
Governor Simcoe Secondary School, District School Board of Niagara
Cardinal Carter Catholic Secondary School, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Earl Haig Secondary School, Toronto District School Board
St. Edmund Separate School, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Pleasantville Public School, York Region District School Board
Nelles Public School, District School Board of Niagara
St. Luke Catholic Elementary School, Nipissing-Parry Sound Catholic District School Board
St. Aloysius Catholic Elementary School, Waterloo Catholic District School Board
Centennial Road Junior Public School, Toronto District School Board
Dunlace Public School, Toronto District School Board
St. John XXIII Catholic School, Renfrew County Catholic District School Board
E. J. James Public School, Halton District School Board