Data and Schools: A Journey of Learning
Student population: 286; Grades: JK–8
- The school is diverse in ethnicity, culture and religious belief. School surveys show that 40% of Fleming P.S. students speak a language other than English at home.
- Parents of the kindergarten students are very involved in the school community. Many of the parents participate in Kindergarten Family Fridays, where they are invited to share in the learning on a specific topic with their child each month. In April of each year, Fleming P.S. hosts a Family Learning Café related to mathematics for the entire school community.
“Understanding what prior mathematical knowledge that the students possess has altered my teaching style to support their learning by providing more hands-on activities, opportunities to discuss their thinking using math terminology and connections. Understanding that all students learn differently is crucial.”— Grades 5/6 Teacher
- Cohort Data: In October, the staff disaggregate the EQAO data by division (primary and junior). The staff then analyze cohort data by reviewing EQAO assessment questions based on their respective strand’s overall expectations and skills from the achievement chart. These skills include knowledge and understanding, application and thinking.
- Three-Year Data: The staff examine EQAO results and other mathematics data from the past three years to gain insight. This approach provides valuable information about trends in student achievement. Staff gain insights from how students performed on different question types (open-response or multiple-choice), skills and mathematics strands.
- Questionnaire Data: The staff analyze EQAO student questionnaire results from year to year with a focus on student engagement, mindset and perceptions of support in the classroom. EQAO data supplements anecdotal evidence from teachers and census data from the Toronto District School Board.
- Plan Forward: Finally, the school builds a plan for school improvement. The plan includes pedagogical considerations for helping students use classroom manipulatives. The plan also includes resources to promote adult and student proficiency in math and a growth mindset.
Focus on Process Expectations
Teachers create and moderate student responses to rich tasks. Student responses are considered alongside information from student surveys about math learning, conferences and math journals. Teachers focus on students’ strengths while examining evidence of learning. The school dedicates professional learning time to the scope and sequence of key curriculum concepts across multiple grades. Together, the teachers develop tasks and plan learning experiences that support and build students’ conceptual knowledge. Junior-division teachers have common timetables and co-teach three-part lessons, which include Math Congress or Gallery Walks for consolidating student learning.
Differentiated Assessment and Evaluation
Differentiated assessment strategies help teachers capture student knowledge, thinking, communication and application of skills and concepts. Teachers document the learning process by making videos, taking pictures, and creating and analyzing collaborative tasks.
Teachers conference with students to record their thinking, allowing students to demonstrate curriculum expectations. Teachers use success criteria to monitor student learning. Next steps for instruction are determined at divisional and staff meetings.
Sudbury Secondary School, Rainbow District School Board
Maxwell Heights Secondary School, Durham District School Board
M.M. Robinson High School, Halton District School Board
Elmira District Secondary School, Waterloo Region District School Board
St. Francis Xavier High School, Ottawa Catholic District School Board
John McCrae Secondary School, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Kenner Collegiate Vocational Institute, Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
Regiopolis-Notre Dame Catholic High School, Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board
St. Benedict Catholic Secondary School, Sudbury Catholic District School Board
Pine Grove Public School, District School Board of Niagara
St. Gabriel Catholic Elementary School, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Sister Catherine Donnelly Catholic School, Simcoe County District School Board
St. Matthew Catholic School, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Fleming Public School, Toronto District School Board
Springbrook Public School, Peel District School Board
Byron Southwood Public School, Thames Valley District School Board
Superior Collegiate and Vocational Institute, Lakehead District School Board
South Carleton High School, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Holy Names Catholic High School, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute, Toronto District School Board
McKellar Park Central School, Lakehead District School Board
St. Dominic Savio Catholic School, Waterloo Catholic District School Board
St. Bernadette Catholic School, Durham Catholic District School Board
Beverley Heights Middle School, Toronto District School Board
Pius XII Catholic Elementary, Sudbury Catholic District School Board
Sir William Gage Middle School, Peel District School Board
St. Martin School, Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board
D. Roy Kennedy Public School, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Maple High School, York Region District School Board
Essex District High School, Greater Essex County District School Board
Mississauga Secondary School, Peel District School Board
Governor Simcoe Secondary School, District School Board of Niagara
Cardinal Carter Catholic Secondary School, Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Earl Haig Secondary School, Toronto District School Board
St. Edmund Separate School, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Pleasantville Public School, York Region District School Board
Nelles Public School, District School Board of Niagara
St. Luke Catholic Elementary School, Nipissing-Parry Sound Catholic District School Board
St. Aloysius Catholic Elementary School, Waterloo Catholic District School Board
Centennial Road Junior Public School, Toronto District School Board
Dunlace Public School, Toronto District School Board
St. John XXIII Catholic School, Renfrew County Catholic District School Board
E. J. James Public School, Halton District School Board