Posting Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2022
Closing Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 4:00 p.m. EDT
Applications are invited for the position of Chief Equity and Assessment Officer at EQAO:
THE EDUCATION QUALITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICE (EQAO), A BOARD-GOVERNED AGENCY OF THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, is responsible for the large-scale assessment program in Ontario. EQAO is modernizing Ontario’s approach to large-scale assessments. The agency creates and delivers engaging and relevant assessments for students that lead to insights into their learning. The provincial assessments administered in the primary division (Grade 3), the junior division (Grade 6) and Grade 9, and the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test, are written, reviewed, designed and implemented by teachers.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, and as a member of the senior management team, the Chief Equity and Assessment Officer (CEAO) will lead EQAO’s commitment and strategy to be a diverse, anti-racist, equitable and inclusive agency. The CEAO will be responsible for setting and implementing an overarching vision of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) for EQAO—at both the assessment and the internal employee level—that works to eliminate systemic organizational marginalization and promotes inclusion and anti-racist practices that will be evidenced through the agency’s structures, customs and leadership.
The successful candidate will
- provide guidance and leadership in EDI to the agency.
- proactively advance EQAO’s EDI goals toward measurable outcomes.
- establish an organizational commitment to diversity, equity and knowledge of various equity seeking groups as fundamental to the quality of EQAO’s assessments, to students’ experience of them, as well as to the agency’s innovative research.
- provide effective leadership, and work proactively with EQAO and the board’s senior management team to develop a comprehensive human rights and equity strategy focused on the promotion of human rights and equity and the elimination of systematic barriers.
- develop and implement policies and guidelines on matters related to EDI that will bring best practices into the agency as well as ensure compliance with legislation such as the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The preferred candidate will provide evidence of
- demonstrated experience as an authentic, transparent and accountable leader committed to student achievement and well-being and the principles of equity.
- ability to design, develop and successfully implement programs and practices that address EDI.
- implementing equity-related curriculum and assessment practices to ensure culturally responsive and relevant pedagogy, and then monitoring the impact on student achievement and well-being.
- working with system leaders to practice a comprehensive equity and human rights strategy focused on the development and implementation of an organizational system response to promote equity and human rights.
- commitment to reconciliation, equity, accessibility, human rights and inclusion, combined with extensive experience leading a diversity/equity and human rights function within a major unionized public- or private-sector organization.
- working with senior-level leadership to create, lead and monitor organizational change.
- familiarity with EQAO’s assessment frameworks and processes and large-scale assessment practice, and understanding the differences between large-scale provincial assessment and classroom assessments
Knowledge of both spoken and written French would be considered a strong asset.
Salary and benefits will be reimbursed directly to the school board.
EQAO MUST receive the following documentation in one document, or your application will not be considered:
- a letter of application identifying the position sought and authorization to contact references;
- a complete and up-to-date personal résumé or curriculum vitae;
- a copy of a current Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification and
- the names of two individuals who can provide a current professional educational reference, one of whom must be your immediate supervisor.
Work location: Remote work/2 Carlton Street, Toronto ON M5B 2M9
Written applications and supporting documentation will be received until 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 3, 2022.
Please put your cover letter, résumé and supporting documentation into one document.
EQAO Human Resources
E-MAIL: email@example.com or FAX: 416-325-0831