Case Studies: Schools on the Journey of Learning
Observations from the Field
Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test,
- Arnprior District High School
RENFREW COUNTY DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
- Eastdale Collegiate and Vocational Institute
DURHAM DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
- Riverdale Collegiate Institute
TORONTO DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
Over the past few months, EQAO has visited a number of secondary schools throughout Ontario. Engaging with the education community in this manner has allowed EQAO to learn about strategies being used to support student achievement in literacy.
Several common themes emerged throughout these visits, including the following:
- Principals and teachers have become more adept at using results from EQAO assessments and other data as a reference point to identify the educational needs of all students and to guide their interventions for those struggling. Throughout the province, there has been a strong emphasis on the early identification and support of at-risk students.
- All secondary teachers are committed to being teachers of literacy, as demonstrated by their efforts to work in collaborative teams to improve student achievement.
- Initiatives by schools to engage parents have resulted in an increase in parental involvement, which has had a positive impact on student success.
- The networking of secondary schools with their feeder schools to analyze EQAO and classroom data, engage in moderated marking, and share and refine instructional and assessment practices contribute to improved student learning.
In celebration of this spirit of achievement, EQAO has profiled several publicly funded Ontario schools. Each school team has shared what EQAO and other data have taught them about their students and the innovative approaches they are using to address areas for improvement. These schools are notable for their success in improving the literacy skills of their students, as demonstrated by their OSSLT results over time.
The school profiles in the following pages are just a few of the many remarkable and inspiring stories across Ontario’s publicly funded school system. EQAO is pleased to highlight the accomplishments of these schools and celebrate the exemplary work of the school teams, which make a significant difference in their communities.